Holidays in the UK
For centuries, the British Isles have punched above their weight on the world stage. Although Britannia no longer rules the waves, the UK remains one of the most interesting places to visit for many travellers.
Today, the UK is a vibrant collage of native and immigrant cultures. It’s an elastic world with an epic history and a passion for progress; alive with tradition but also a centre for innovation.
From the Scottish wilderness to the cosmopolitan sensory assault that is London, holidays in the UK will transport you into a fascinating world of contradictions and eccentricities. Read more on London holidays here.
What do holidays in the UK have to offer
The UK may not be that big, but there really is so much to see. If you like being outdoors, there’s everything from surfing to rock-climbing. If you want history, the UK is overflowing with it. If you want culture, just immerse yourself in the UK’s cities.
The South-West of England, home to Glastonbury Festival, Cheddar cheese and the Cornish pasty, is dominated by its rugged coast and ancient history, while the UK’s sprawling and multicultural capital London, with its world-class museums, shopping and food, is surrounded by the rolling hills of the affluent South-East.
The North of England where you’ll find some of the friendliest people you’ll ever meet. Beyond the lively former industrial centres of Manchester, Liverpool and Leeds, the Northumberland coast, the Peak District and the Lake District boast some of the UK’s most brooding and beautiful scenery. Find out more about England holidays.
It’s in the Scottish Highlands, however, where the real wilderness remains. Edinburgh, meanwhile, famous for its annual festival, is rich with history and is one of the UK’s most creative cities, whilst the larger Hebrides islands are popular with walkers and whiskey-lovers alike. Discover all that Scotland holidays have to offer.
The Welsh capital Cardiff is a city full of energy, whilst the jagged peaks of the Snowdonia mountain range punctuate North Wales. Across the Irish Sea, fashionable Belfast is a forward-looking city full of excitement, whilst Northern Ireland’s countryside is just as mesmerising as the UK mainland. Find more things to do in the UK.
Marvel at the past and get a glimpse of the future on holidays in the UK
You can book holidays in the UK with Compare Travel Market holidays, grab a great deal when you book flights and hotel together. Don’t feel restricted with the length of your holiday, as we allow you to go for as long or short as you wish with our flexible booking options.
Things to Do in United Kingdom
If you’re thinking of holidaying in the UK there are many fantastic cities and counties to explore and many UK attractions to visit! Here’s Compare Travel Market holidays overview of the best things to do in the UK.
- A stay in London is never dull! Experience the capital city of England with a holiday here and you will find plenty of places to visit and things to do. Sightseeing is a must. Sit back and relax on an open top tour bus or get around the city on foot or bicycle.
- Museum fan? London has many great museums, exhibitions and galleries on numerous topics. Try a visit to the world renowned National History Museum or the nearby interactive Science Museum, a great day out for families. Madame Tussauds, the London Dungeons and, of course the London Eye are also must see attractions.
UK Nightlife Hot Spots
- The capital city of London has a vibrant nightlife but it’s not the only place to find a brilliant night out! Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds, Glasgow and Brighton are all popular party venues with loads of excellent bars, pubs, nightclubs and restaurants to choose from.
- Interested in the historic wonders of the UK? There are numerous intriguing UK attractions dating back several centuries. Visit the world famous Stonehenge site or discover the many elegant country homes, castles and royal residences across the country. Many tourists opt to visit the West Stow Anglo-Saxon Village or the home of William Shakespeare in Stratford-upon-Avon.
Art & Culture
- Catch the latest Hollywood releases or watch a live show at the many cinemas and theatres up and down the country. Ballets and Operas are often put on by touring companies too, or book a performance at the Royal Opera House in London.
- Appreciate fine art or modern masterpieces in the various art galleries and museums across the UK. London is home to the National Gallery and the Tate Modern.
Scotland & Wales
- A holiday to Scotland or Wales can be extremely diverse. Visit cities such as Cardiff, Swansea, Glasgow or Edinburgh, or take a tranquil break amongst the Welsh Mountains or Scottish Lochs.
Try a holiday in the UK with Compare Travel Market holidays. If you need flights can you can find an affordable deal and flexible booking, along with cheap accommodation.